Saturday, May 27, 2006

SF updates info

Folks, I just wanted to point out a couple of things regarding the tools I have posted, and will be posting, to the SF site.

First off, I still have some tools up on CPAN that I thought may be of interest. I'll have to bring those down, and include them in some capacity within the SF toolset. I have to say that I've found the File::ReadEvt module and associated scripts to be pretty handy, particularly the evtstats.pl script. It's pretty handy for pulling statistics on the event log records out of the .evt file quickly. If you're looking for certain types of statistics, it's easy to modify, as well. I also used the File::ReadPE module recently to examine the headers of several PE files.

The second thing I wanted to mention is updates to the tools. Every now and then I get requests to modify the functionality, either b/c the tool didn't respond the way the user expected, or b/c of something I didn't anticipate in my development and testing. If the tool and most users would greatly benefit from the update and it isn't a major rework/redesign of the tool, I'll update it. Requests for updates that are a bit out there usually take a bit longer.

If you have any questions regarding the use of the tools, or would like to see updates to the functionality...how the output is formatted, what's listed in the output, etc...please don't hesitate to let me know. Sometimes the thing that you think is little and doesn't matter will end up being extremely useful to someone else. Also, the feedback is important for providing useful tools to the community.

No comments: